Tulip Festival
Here are some pictures of our experience.
It has been a month since I last entered a message on the blog. There are two reasons for that. First of all my fibro has been really bad. My hands seem to be getting the brunt of the attack and it is hard to type. I also injured my knee and have been having to go to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles. My body wasn’t up for the 45 minute walks everyday. The uneven ground played a big part in the injury also. The second reason is that it has just gotten extremely busy. The weather is still rainy, but the temperature is warmer. Last Friday we had two stake fathers and sons. The day started at 8:30 with devotional and ended around 9:30 P.M. We had a little break for lunch but dinner was on the run. We checked in over 550 people. There were tents everywhere. We were stocking the lake with fish and the boys really enjoyed that. We were down one senior couple because the previous Monday Sister Burke’s father passed away. On Wednesday they flew to Utah. That left Sister Kugler and myself to do all the checking in and cover the office. Five hours in the check in booth was not very fun, but the payoff was to see the happy faces and listen to the giggling and watch the interaction between the father’s and there boys. There was one man from our ward who has 4 daughters and then a son. The little boy was about two. He was so excited to be able to come to the fathers and sons outing with his son. There were lots of little ones running around this camp. By 2:00 the next day they were all gone. It was a very beautiful warm day so Shellie came over from Port Orchard, about a 30 minute drive, with her family and we had an enjoyable late afternoon with them.
I’ve been substituting in the 9-10 year old primary class, so the next morning I was up at 5:30 to finish the lesson and prepare the food for Sunday dinner. The Kuglers were leaving the camp on a little overnight outing so they had to leave at 2:00 to catch the ferry. That meant that lunch had to be ready to eat right when we got home from church. We were feeding the missionaries. Afterwards I collapsed in bed for a pick me up nap. Monday I was in the office by myself with a big report to do. Henry went to the airport to pick up the Burkes.
Tuesday was a mission meeting with all the recreation property missionaries. It was very nice. We went to a ward building that is right behind the temple. We had a nice meal, listened to our director tell about the history of the camps and then give us a vision of what is to come and why. We were told that service missionaries that are serving in various positions all over the world, doing jobs that normally would be hired employees save the church $150 to $200 million a year. That is money that can be used in other areas to further the Lord’s work.
We then got to visit with some of the other couples. I met Marilyn Sanderson’s brother in law. I worked with Marilyn at Whittier. She had told me that her Sister was going to Zarahemla. It was nice to talk to him. I also met a couple that used to live in Syracuse. I know we are shirt tail relatives because their name is Thurgood. Samuel Thurgood is the line he came from. If anyone knows if that’s our line please let me know. I didn’t bring my genealogy.
On Wednesday, our preparation day we got to watch Madeline (Shellie’s daughter) play her t-ball game. She and all the other little girls were so cute. One of the blessings we have for serving in Washington is being able to spend a little time with Shellie and Doug and their family.
Another blessing is to be able to wake up with the gentle rain hitting the roof of the 5th wheel. We also have some little birds that next right outside of our bedroom window. We enjoy watching them.
This Friday and Saturday there were more blessings as we checked in about 350 people into the camp. We had a beautiful Saturday with sunshine and laughter. Sunday brought rain in the morning and sunshine in the afternoon.
In spite of all the hard work we feel truly blessed by serving in this part of the Lord’s vineyard. As a Brother Walker, a leader of a youth conference was leaving the camp I asked him if the Youth Conference was a success and he said, "Oh yes! This is such a beautiful camp with such a peaceful setting where our young people felt the Lord’s spirit." Elder Larsen and I feel blessed to be here. 
I want to thank so many of you who are praying for us and for our family. Thank you for being so kind to Candace, our daughter who is undergoing cancer treatment. She has said that she feels those prayers are benefitting her.
I will try and write each Sunday.
It has been a month since I last entered a message on the blog. There are two reasons for that. First of all my fibro has been really bad. My hands seem to be getting the brunt of the attack and it is hard to type. I also injured my knee and have been having to go to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles. My body wasn’t up for the 45 minute walks everyday. The uneven ground played a big part in the injury also. The second reason is that it has just gotten extremely busy. The weather is still rainy, but the temperature is warmer. Last Friday we had two stake fathers and sons. The day started at 8:30 with devotional and ended around 9:30 P.M. We had a little break for lunch but dinner was on the run. We checked in over 550 people. There were tents everywhere. We were stocking the lake with fish and the boys really enjoyed that. We were down one senior couple because the previous Monday Sister Burke’s father passed away. On Wednesday they flew to Utah. That left Sister Kugler and myself to do all the checking in and cover the office. Five hours in the check in booth was not very fun, but the payoff was to see the happy faces and listen to the giggling and watch the interaction between the father’s and there boys. There was one man from our ward who has 4 daughters and then a son. The little boy was about two. He was so excited to be able to come to the fathers and sons outing with his son. There were lots of little ones running around this camp. By 2:00 the next day they were all gone. It was a very beautiful warm day so Shellie came over from Port Orchard, about a 30 minute drive, with her family and we had an enjoyable late afternoon with them.
I’ve been substituting in the 9-10 year old primary class, so the next morning I was up at 5:30 to finish the lesson and prepare the food for Sunday dinner. The Kuglers were leaving the camp on a little overnight outing so they had to leave at 2:00 to catch the ferry. That meant that lunch had to be ready to eat right when we got home from church. We were feeding the missionaries. Afterwards I collapsed in bed for a pick me up nap. Monday I was in the office by myself with a big report to do. Henry went to the airport to pick up the Burkes.
Tuesday was a mission meeting with all the recreation property missionaries. It was very nice. We went to a ward building that is right behind the temple. We had a nice meal, listened to our director tell about the history of the camps and then give us a vision of what is to come and why. We were told that service missionaries that are serving in various positions all over the world, doing jobs that normally would be hired employees save the church $150 to $200 million a year. That is money that can be used in other areas to further the Lord’s work.
We then got to visit with some of the other couples. I met Marilyn Sanderson’s brother in law. I worked with Marilyn at Whittier. She had told me that her Sister was going to Zarahemla. It was nice to talk to him. I also met a couple that used to live in Syracuse. I know we are shirt tail relatives because their name is Thurgood. Samuel Thurgood is the line he came from. If anyone knows if that’s our line please let me know. I didn’t bring my genealogy.
Another blessing is to be able to wake up with the gentle rain hitting the roof of the 5th wheel. We also have some little birds that next right outside of our bedroom window. We enjoy watching them.
This Friday and Saturday there were more blessings as we checked in about 350 people into the camp. We had a beautiful Saturday with sunshine and laughter. Sunday brought rain in the morning and sunshine in the afternoon.
I want to thank so many of you who are praying for us and for our family. Thank you for being so kind to Candace, our daughter who is undergoing cancer treatment. She has said that she feels those prayers are benefitting her.
I will try and write each Sunday.

1 comment:
I am so glad that you are enjoying your time on your mission. I went up with the RS presidency about a month ago to the Heber Valley Camp where our girls were at camp. I thought of you as the missionaries checked us in. I bet you get to hear some wonderful stories about the experiences people have as they visit your camp.
I am sorry that your fibra is flaring up! I wish that the Noni juice was helping you more.
Post a Comment