Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 30, 2008

We have been in the missionfield for 2 1/2 weeks and having lots of fun. The work is quite tiring and we go to bed very early. For Colleen learning to be a secretary has not been an easy task. There are so many reports and forms to learn about and fill out correctly. The muscles in my shoulders tighten up quickly and I get headaches. This, I hope, will lessen as I learn all of the procedures. I am walking in the early morning with one of the sisters I serve with. It is quite a fun experience. I have also become a chicken farmer. We have 8 chickens and one rooster. I am in charge, (I volunteered) of feeding the chickens and gathering the eggs. Having the chickens is a benefit to us as eggs here are $2.79 a dozen. Food in Washington is much higher than Utah. Henry is having fun, but he too is very tired by the end of the day. The men have been going into town, a 30 minute drive, at least two times a day an getting donated woodchips. This requires them to load it with a front end loader. Henry runs the backhoe/ front end loader. They haul the woodchips back to camp and then they have to unload them. This would not be a very hard task but the woodchips are currently very wet. This makes them very heavy! We need lots of woodchips in the camp by April 19th because there is a big Spring Cleanup day when hundreds of volunteers will be here to help us get the camp ready for the upcoming season. Henry has also helped to cut up and haul away an OLD motorhome. That was fun for him using a torch to cut the metal frame into three pieces. He has also been doing some plumbing. I asked him why he liked doing this kind of work and he said, "It is the challenge to figure out how to fix things with very little supplies." He is truly enjoying this mission. He works with two other younger (59yrs) elders who are energizer bunnies. Between the three of them they have a good time.
The weather here is very interesting. Yesterday it rained very hard, it snowed a little and then melted, it hailed and it slushed. I have never seen it rain slush, but it did yesterday. Oh and the sun found it's way through the clouds on a few occasions. We are promised better weather this next week. My body is ready for it to get warm.
The weekends bring many campers. It is funny to me that people would go camping in the rain, but as a sister at church said today, if we waited for no rain there might be one week in the entire year to go camping. That rain is what makes this area so beautiful. It is so green and the little spring flowers are starting to pop out of the ground. The campers are delightful to be around. Most of the people who come to camp spend at least an hour doing service projects to help with camp maintenance. Even the little kids are helping. What a wonderful learning experience that is. A couple of weeks ago, a scout group caught a 20 1/2 in trout weighing in at 3 pounds. This last weekend a young boy caught a small fish but he was equally excited. It is fun to help create an atmosphere where people can come an enjoy the out of doors and feel the beauty of God's creations.
I am hoping that the other sisters will teach me how to put pictures on this blog so that I can share some of that beauty with you.
I have learned that the church is starting a new website for all the recreational properties next week. When it is up and running I will let you know and you can go there to see what there is to see. Making reservations when girls camps are not here is fairly easy. You can just call and book cabins, tent sites, longhouses or the lodge. This is from September until June. When Girls camps are here in July and August the available places that can have families with a boy 12 or older is pretty slim. On August 1, 2008 you can book the lodge for family reunions. It sleeps about 140 people in bunkbeds and has a big kitchen with a huge group area inside. There are a few spots open in June of this year but not many weekends are left. If you are interested just give the camp a call. The charge is $200 per night for 20 people and $10 extra for each additional person. This encludes archery and boating and use of any of the group areas on the property. Since we have been here there have been two family reunions and one Aronic Priesthood Premissionary activity in the lodge.
The phone number for reservations is 360-275-6601 .
I want you to know that if feel the Savior's love for me and my family as we serve this sevice mission. He is blessing our daughters and Henry and I everyday. I send my love to you until I can write again.
Someone asked what our address is. We would love to get mail once in a while if you are inclined to write. Elder and Sister Larsen P.O. Box 1761. Belfair, WA 98528

No comments: