Sunday, March 16, 2008

Getting on our way

Sunday March 2nd was a beautiful day for us. Two of our daughters and some of our grandchildren came to our home and witnessed Henry and I being set apart for our mission. The stake president, President Maybee set us apart and our son in laws helped with the setting apart. Another blessing was witnessed when Candace was feeling well enough to be there. Her second chemo treatment had been three days earlier. The children went home and Henry and I went to church as official missionaries.
Bright and early Monday March 3rd we traveled to the Mission Training Center in Provo. It was so exciting. Upon check in we found out that there were more missionary couples than the MTC could accommodate so they asked us if we could stay at the Super 8 motel downtown. We had a very comfortable room. The mission president told us that they are planning on building a building to house 200+ couples. He said, "If we build it they will come." Get your papers in senior couples, the field is white.
The five days in the mission training center were fabulous. We studied the scriptures and Preach my Gospel every day. We were taught by energetic young returned missionaries. We rubbed shoulders with the enthusiastic young elders and sisters who were also there to be taught. We listened to Elder Holland at the weekly devotional. The young missionaries and all the 71 senior missionaries were in that meeting. When they all sang Called to Serve the spirit was so strong. When they sang We are as the Armies of Heleman, I began to cry. It was wonderful. All to soon the friendships we had made and the MTC experience was over and it was time to go back to the real world and get ready to leave for Washington.
Friday night we had hopes of doing a few things around the house to start the packing process, but by the time we drove home we were exhausted and not up for much. I think we were in bed a 8:30 that night. What a surprise it was to find much of the cleaning of the house already done. Our sweet neighbor, Sheri Walster had come in while we were gone and spruced things up. Thank heaven for great friends like her. Saturday dawned bright and early. Our daughters and their families were coming in the afternoon to help with the final packing and cleaning and to have a family home evening with us. The doorbell rang and there stood another wonderful neighbor, Kathy James, asking what she could do to help. I was very grateful for all the help. We needed to have part of the house cleaned out for the young couple who would be living there and we needed to have the trailer loaded so we could pull out early Monday morning. Without all that help we wouldn’t have made it.
Sunday was a wonderful day. Because the trailer was hooked to the truck we needed to walk to church. Heavenly Father gave me a wonderful gift. He allowed me to walk to church under bright sun and a blue sky. We were talking in church that afternoon. What a wonderful sight it was to look out into the audience and see family, friends from long ago and our Temple Rider Friends. I saw a glimpse of heaven that day. It was so wonderful to renew friendships with dear friends and family.
After all the visiting and hugging was done Henry and I finalized our packing and climbed into bed. I don’t know why but we didn’t sleep very well that night. I guess we were like little kids, just to excited.
We hit the road around 7:30. The ride was uneventful until we got to Snowville. Our truck started having problems. It kept losing power. Finally it kicked back in and ran just fine. Just about where the junction is to the main road to Twin Falls it did it again. This time it had the problem for a lot longer. We were stopping to have lunch with Colleen’s brother, Robert and decided to have the truck looked at. To make a long story short we were told it needed a lot of work would take many days to complete. We needed to be in Washington for a meeting Thursday evening, so we offered a prayer and asked the Lord to bless the truck. He did and it didn’t have anymore problems.
We arrived at our daughter, Shellie’s house Tuesday evening. We visited with them, stayed the night and headed for Zion’s Camp Wednesday. The other missionaries at the camp were happy to see us. Sister Koogler had a big vase of daffodils sitting on the table of the fifth wheel and Sister Grant had a welcome basket full of all kinds of things. We spent the next three days getting settled. It wasn’t to hard a job because this fifth wheel we bought from Elder and Sister Grant is huge. It is very comfortable and will make a lovely home for the two years we are at this beautiful recreational property.
Today Sunday the 16th we attended our ward and were welcomed with open arms. I think I am going to like living in the missionfield. After church we took a long walk around the camp. Walking I think is going to become a daily activity. Maybe I’ll be able to drop a few pounds. I didn’t tell you that we have chickens on the property. Tomorrow I will learn my duties pertaining to the chickens and running the office. I’m excited. Henry had a wonderful evening talking with the other elders and discussing plans and activities ahead for him. I will add to the blog everytime there is something exciting to share. I hope you will enjoy following our adventure. We love you all and hope that the Lord is blessing you as you serve him in your areas and own ways. Elder and Sister Larsen

4 comments:

jpeterlarsen said...

This is all so very exciting. You are a great example and I will look forward to hearing all about your mission. Is there a website where we can learn about Zion's Camp?

Enjoy the experience. We send our love,

Texas Larsens
Pete, Francisca, Tiffani, Sara, Arielle and Isabela.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Sounds like you are having the time of your lives. Best wishes and Love, maybe we will come up to Zions camp before you get through your mission and see you. Thanks for your letter God bless you both
Robyn & Bob

Anonymous said...

Hello from the neighborhood folks!!!
This is Kathy and Sherry thinking of you all so far away. Stay dry and we will be in touch soon.
love ya, Us 2

Unknown said...

Colleen,
Wow the flower pictures are beautiful. I am sorry that you are having health issues. I hope you are up and moving around a little better. I am glad to hear about your adventures. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you. Love, Wendee Johnston